1. Tourism businesses should seek environmentally sustainable economic growth and minimize visitor impacts on wildlands, wildlife, Native cultures, and local communities by offering literature, briefings, leading by example, taking corrective action, and other appropriate means;
2. Travel modes and facilities should maintain a low impact on the natural environment and tour use should be sustainable over time without significantly altering the resource or negatively affecting the experience;
3. Tourism businesses should provide direct benefits to the local economy and local inhabitants thereby providing an incentive for local support and preservation of wild areas and wildlife habitat;
4. Tourism businesses should seek appropriate means to minimize their effects on the environment in all phases of their operations including office practices;
5. Tourism businesses should ensure that managers, staff, and contract employees know and participate in all aspects of company policy to prevent impacts on the environment, Native cultures, and local communities;
6. Tourism businesses should emphasize education and inspire travelers to learn about the natural and cultural history of the places they visit;
7. Tourism businesses and their guests should contribute to local non-profit efforts to protect the environment; and
8. Tourism businesses should encourage a spirit of appreciation, participation, and sensitivity.